Thursday, April 24, 2008

Acute viral nasopharyngitis


I have been suffering from cold from the last few days. I think the most irritating disease in the world is cold. It won't let us do anything. I did some googling to find the right medicine and I was amazed that with this advanced technology we have in science and medicine there is no drug which is approved to cure this disease. All the Tylenol's and NyQuil's we take are just for relief. And there are 31 dictionary meanings for the word "Cold".
More I learned about this it got more interesting. Take a look at this (Courtesy Wikipedia). This calculation was during the war times in 1940-50's and now the cost of common cold is astronomical. The average cost of common cold just in America is $7.7 Billion dollars an year. Can you believe that? I wonder why it is so hard to find a preventive cure for cold like a vaccination. Imagine a world with no sneezing and puffing due to cold. Suffering with cold reminds me of my grand mother who passed away recently. She used to give me a home medicine some liquid prepared from black pepper. Really hot and spicy but extremely effective. May God rest her soul in peace.

No comments: