Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Election 2008!

I am following American Presidential Election right from the Primaries last year and I supported John Mccain when he was nominated. I am an independent with no right to vote in this country being an Indian citizen but I tell you what I feel about these campaigns. I saw this quote from one of the Indian entrepreneurs Mr. Anand Mahindra " I think Indians Heart goes to Obama and head goes to McCain in this Elections." That is so right. Mccain is supporting Bush policies and I have no problem with that in the context of India. George Bush maintained good relationship with India, encouraged outsourcing and stood against the outcry in this country about it. More importantly he is the key persons in signing the historic Nuclear deal with India which may be the key for India's future in energy independence. So, I have no problem if Mccain is Bush again, just with respect to India. On the other hand in Obama I see a young and talented leader emerging in the international scene. I think with a fresh face and new leadership he will bring again the trust of the world in America which was totally lost in the last eight years. But being a liberal he is opposed to outsourcing, opposed to free markets and I am not convinced that a Democratic government is better for Indian than a Republican government. So even though I didn't liked in my heart I wished McCain will become the President. But then came Sarah Palin.


When I first saw Sarah Palin is going to be the Vice Presidential nominee of the GOP Party, first person who got in mind was H.D. Deve Gowda former Prime Minister of India back in the 90's. I know how he became a laughable stock for all of us in India and a provided a great writing material for all the cartoonists in India. He used to sleep in the cabinet meetings. Why I bring that comparison here is because I know how bad an ineffective leader can be. Can you imagine Sarah Palin dealing with issues like Iran in the future. I can't. I am scared to even think in those lines because it will not affect just the America but the whole world.


So, Now I wish Barack Obama will become the President of this country and bring back the respect and trust of the world because I think in this global economy one thing is clear. If America prospers, the world prospers and I hope Obama becomes the hope of this country.

No comments: